Chevrolet Readies Its Counterattack to the Ford F-150 Lightning
With an announced on sale date of spring 2023, the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV is slowly getting attention from full-size pickup owners. Clean Fleet Report wanted to give an update as we are one year out from seeing the Silverado EV in Chevrolet dealerships.
Chevrolet is currently taking online reservations for the Silverado EV, with more than 160,000 eager people already having shown an interest. Add your name and, after a $100 refundable deposit, a local dealer will be in touch to complete the ordering process.
This review highlights the status of the Silverado EV as of May 2022. We will write more detailed reviews, including impressions for on and off-road driving and towing, when we have had the chance to get behind the wheel this much anticipated all-electric pickup from Chevrolet. Until then, here are some notes to get started.
- Developed from the ground-up as a fully electric truck
- Built at Factory ZERO at the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center
- All-wheel drive
- All-wheel steering
- Three different Silverado EV trims: WT (Work Truck), RST and Trail Boss, which will be an adventure model designed for off-road driving
- Towing capacity: 8,000 pounds for the WT; 10,000 pounds for the RST
- 1,200 pounds of payload
- Available only as a Crew Cab
Power and Range
- Dual electric motors
- WT: 510 horsepower; RST: 664 horsepower
- 0 – 60 mph: Up to 4.5 seconds with the available Wide Open Watts mode on the RST
- 200 kilowatt-hour (kWh) Ultium lithium-ion battery
- 2 kW onboard charger
- 350 kW, 800-volt DC charging capability
- 8,000-pound estimated curb weight
- Driving Range: 400 miles
Charging is through Level 1 (120V), Level 2 (240V) and DC Fast Charging. Chevrolet has not released charge times for the first two, but estimate 24 hours for Level 1 and 16 hours for Level 2. Chevrolet has confirmed 100 miles can be added in about 10 minutes when charging with 350 kW DC fast charging.
Features (some RST only)
- Seating for five adults
- Power, heated and cooled seats
- 0-inch driver configurable instrument display
0-inch infotainment screen
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless phone charging
- Wi-Fi Hotspot
- 14-inch multi-color head-up display
- Available Super Cruise, demonstrated here on the GMC Hummer EV, offers hands-free driving and features the ability to automatically change lanes
- Automatic adaptive air suspension with a 2-inch range for raising or lowering the ride height
- Large and deep center console storage area that can hold a lunch cooler
- Rear under seat storage
- A front lockable trunk
- Fixed glass roof over the front and rear passengers
- Rear bumper steps
- Multi-flex tailgate
- Mid-gate that opens the back of the cab into the interior. With the rear seat folded flat, there is 10-feet of storage area. Perfect for a kayak, surfboard or SUP
- With a paired mobile phone, there are walk-up and walk-away lighting sequences on the front and rear ends
- 2kW of external charging capability, with up to 10 outlets, to power a worksite, home or campsite
The Silverado EV comes standard with advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) through Chevrolet Safety Assist that includes automatic emergency braking, front pedestrian braking, lane keep assist departure warning and forward collision alert.
As with all General Motors vehicles, the Silverado EV will be equipped with OnStar. A simple push of a button connects to a friendly representative to handle emergencies, directions and general assistance to make your driving experience safer and more enjoyable.
Pricing and Availability
The 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV will be launched in spring 2023. The Work Truck (WT) model will be first with an estimated price of $40,000. In the fall of 2023 the RST model will be available with an estimated price of $105,000. Sometime in 2024 expect to see various models with pricing of $50,000 and up. Chevrolet says they want customers “to choose the truck that meets their capability and pricing needs.”
Observations: 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV
This is the one of several battery electric vehicles General Motors is be releasing on the all-new, dedicated Ultium EV Platform. The first was the 2023 GMC Hummer EV, next will be the Cadillac Lyriq. We can only speculate, but expect there to be a battery electric version of almost all the Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC makes.
The Silverado EV is an important step for Chevrolet as they enter the nascent but growing field of all-electric pickup trucks. They understand the challenges of converting current diesel and gasoline-powered truck owners to buying an electric pickup. As more electric trucks are on the market (there are three currently available with the GMC Hummer, Rivian R1T and the Ford Lightning), consumers will become more comfortable with the idea that burning fossil fuels and spewing emissions into the atmosphere is no longer necessary.
Make sure to opt-in to the Clean Fleet Report newsletter (top right of page) to be notified of all new stories and vehicle reviews, including when we get the chance to drive the Silverado EV with a full report on its performance, charging speed, and driving range.
Story by John Faulkner. Photos by John Faulkner and Chevrolet.
Clean Fleet Report is loaned free test vehicles from automakers to evaluate, typically for a week at a time. Our road tests are based on this one-week drive of a new vehicle. Because of this we don’t address issues such as long-term reliability or total cost of ownership. In addition, we are often invited to manufacturer events highlighting new vehicles or technology. As part of these events we may be offered free transportation, lodging or meals. We do our best to present our unvarnished evaluations of vehicles and news irrespective of these inducements.
Our focus is on vehicles that offer the best fuel economy in their class, which leads us to emphasize electric cars, plug-in hybrids, hybrids and diesels. We also feature those efficient gas-powered vehicles that are among the top mpg vehicles in their class. In addition, we aim to offer reviews and news on advanced technology and the alternative fuel vehicle market. We welcome any feedback from vehicle owners and are dedicated to providing a forum for alternative viewpoints. Please let us know your views at email@example.com.